“Our crew responded and the patient was transported to UCSD Hospital in Hillcrest,” the department said.
The UC San Diego Health said they could not comment on the status or the treatment of the patient due to federal law restricting the release of medical information.
In a statement provided to Fox News, the San Diego Zoo said that the wildlife care specialist was caring for the world-regions bush viper, scientifically known as Atheris squamigera, in a non-public area.
The zoo added, “In keeping with our protocols, the staff member was immediately taken to a hospital for evaluation and medical care, and we remain in close contact.”
“Although the San Diego Zoo cares for a number of venomous reptiles, incidents like this are very rare, and the snake was contained at all times with no risk of an escape,” the zoo said.
A San Diego Zoo employee was hospitalized Monday after being bitten by a venomous snake, officials said.
National Geographic states about the viper native to parts of western and central Africa: “Their venom typically kills within days.”
The symptoms from a bite from the reptile include “serious kidney damage and disrupt blood clotting and flow” and “severe inflammation, hemorrhaging, and tissue death.”
The snake “can cause fevers or internal bleeding, which can be fatal,” a study from the American College of Medical Toxicology (ACMT) reported.
There is no known antivenom for an African bush viper’s poison, according to the Seneca Park Zoo in Rochester, New York.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
This story has been updated to include comment from the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.