Since he did not have vinegar, Karlson, an author and former lifeguard, said he instructed his wife to pour Coke over the affected area, reports said.
“There was some stinging, but after being a life saver for some years– I’ve been stung by bluebottles and it was not anything like that,” he told 9News.com.au. “It was more the pain from the physical strike of the octopus.”
DEER BOLTS THROUGH VIRGINIA SCHOOL BUS WINDSHIELD, CRASHES INTO SLEEPING STUDENT IN SURVEILLANCE VIDEO
On Instagram, he described the creature as: “The angriest octopus in Geographe Bay!”
Despite his injuries, Karlson said he is worried that people will now view the creatures in a different light.
“This was clearly the octopus’s domain,” he added, according to Reuters.